Monday, March 8, 2010

Alice in Wonderland review.




I wasn't sure if I was going to give Alice in Wonderland a shot, but my friend Heather asked me to go. So I went. I love movies and I love seeing them in the theater, however, Longview/Kelso theaters are not good. They are just low quality. I want you to know this because some of the visual problems may be due to the theater. The screen was shaking the whole time. It wasn't a huge deal but it was noticeable. Now onto the movie. The movie starts off well. A good scene with young Alice and her father. This scene will come back to haunt you with it's corniness later in the movie. It is hard to tell who this movie is made for. Some things feel older and then some parts are obviously meant for kindergarten age kids. Another issue is that the sizing seems off. When Alice is large is seems as though her size is shifting in different frames. The sets are great. The costumes are awsome. I loved the Cheshire Cat.

Mia Wasikowska forces every emotion that she shows. Anne Hathaway holds up her arms in a very annoying way. This has to be something that she was directed to do. It seems very forced as though she is thinking, "Hold up my arms, hold up my arms." Crispin Glover is sadly not used to his potential. Helena Bonham Carter does well yelling, "OFF WITH THEIR HEADS!" Johnny Depp was great for the most part. I was worried that he would just phone in his performance, but he was really great until the dance that he does near the end. If any women had even the slightest attraction to Johnny Depp it was killed with the dance. As was the whole movie for me. The dance made the movie pathetic. There is no way that Tim Burton could have destroyed whatever shred of his credibility as an unconventional director was left better.

Also 2 out of 5 on this one.

No comments:

Post a Comment